Ginger Kale Fried Rice with Cabbage and Herb Salad
The second recipe in our month-long rendition of Meatless Monday is here! Try this vegetarian fried rice recipe for a light, flavorful, and plant-heavy Monday meal. Let us know how you like it!
- 2 tbsp. oil (peanut, canola or olive)
- 2 cups white basmati
- ½ cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. minced ginger
- 2 eggs, scrambled (bonus points for buying local!)
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, thinly sliced
- 5 each scallions
- 1 small cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup chopped mint
- 1 cup chopped basil (bonus points for buying local!)
- 2 each limes, zest and juice
- ¼ cup sambal
- 1 tbsp. hoisin
- 1 cup chopped toasted cashews
In a saucepan, combine rice and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse with cold water and set aside. For meal prepping purposes, the rice can be made the day before.
Heat wok or sauté pan over high heat. Pour in the oil, then stir in ginger, garlic and kale. Cook for 1 minute. Crack in eggs, stirring quickly to scramble eggs with vegetables. Stir in cooked rice. Add tamari or soy sauce, toss rice to coat. Remove from heat, add scallion and sesame oil, toss together.
In a medium sized bowl combine hoisin, lime juice, zest and sambal. Whisk together. Add thinly sliced cabbage and herbs. Garnish with chopped toasted cashews. Enjoy!